Show Summary Details
Page of

Tuberous Sclerosis and Autism 

Tuberous Sclerosis and Autism
Chapter:
Tuberous Sclerosis and Autism
Author(s):

Dan Ehninger

and Alcino J. Silva

DOI:
10.1093/med/9780199744312.003.0009
Page of

PRINTED FROM OXFORD MEDICINE ONLINE (www.oxfordmedicine.com). © Oxford University Press, 2020. All Rights Reserved. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a PDF of a single chapter of a title in Oxford Medicine Online for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy and Legal Notice).

date: 24 February 2020

Tuberous sclerosis (TSC) is a single-gene disorder caused by heterozygous mutations in either the TSC1 or TSC2 genes (Consortium, 1993; van Slegtenhorst et al., 1997). In 70% of cases, TSC gene mutations arise de novo. The remaining 30% of cases are familial with an autosomal dominant pattern of inheritance. Tuberous sclerosis belongs to the group of phakomatoses (neurocutaneous disorders) and is associated with characteristic manifestations in various organ systems, including the brain, skin, kidney, lung, heart, and liver (Crino, Nathanson, & Henske, 2006; Curatolo, Bombardieri & Jozwiak, 2008). Pathological manifestations in these organ systems often include tumor growths or tissue malformations (hamartomas). While penetrance is high, expressivity of TSC phenotypes is highly variable. The birth incidence of TSC is approximately 1:6,000 (Osborne, Fryer, & Webb, 1991). This chapter is an updated and extended version of a previous article on this topic (Ehninger, de Vries, & Silva, 2009)

Access to the complete content on Oxford Medicine Online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts for each book and chapter without a subscription.

Please subscribe or login to access full text content.

If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.

For questions on access or troubleshooting, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.