- Quick Reference Material
- Abbreviations used in the text
- Amendments and Errata
- Amendments and Errata to Third Edition
- Amendments and Errata to Second Edition
- Chapter 1 What is general practice?
- Chapter 2 Contracts
- Chapter 3 Practice management
- Chapter 4 Education, monitoring, and research
- Chapter 5 Consulting and certification
- Chapter 6 Medicines and prescribing
- Chapter 7 Minor surgery
- Chapter 8 Healthy living
- Chapter 9 Chronic disease and elderly care
- Chapter 10 Cardiology and vascular disease
- Chapter 11 Respiratory medicine
- Chapter 12 Endocrinology
- Chapter 13 Gastrointestinal medicine
- Chapter 14 Renal medicine and urology
- Chapter 15 Musculoskeletal problems
- Chapter 16 Neurology
- Chapter 17 Dermatology
- Chapter 18 Infectious disease
- Chapter 19 Haematology and immunology
- Chapter 20 Breast disease
- Chapter 21 Gynaecology
- Chapter 22 Sexual health and contraception
- Chapter 23 Pregnancy
- Chapter 24 Child health
- Chapter 25 Ear, nose, and throat
- Chapter 26 Ophthalmology
- Chapter 27 Mental health
- Chapter 28 Cancer and palliative care
- Chapter 29 Emergencies in general practice
- Weblinks for Second Edition
Amendments and Errata to Third Edition
On page 370, under the heading ‘Solitary thyroid nodules,’ the text after ‘Malignant’ should read:
On page 464, after the heading ‘Conventional drug therapy,’ line three should read:
alpha adreceptor antagonist e.g. Prazosin, Doxazosin
alpha adrenoceptor agonist e.g. Prazosin, Doxazosin.
On page 807, after the heading ‘Risk to the baby,’ the beginning of line two should read:
On page 921, after the heading ‘Rehabilitation,’ the cross reference should read:
pp206 and 590.
On page 107, in Table 5.2, ‘Religious differences important in healthcare’, the row labelled ‘Muslim’ has been amended. In the ‘Transfusion/transplant’ column, where is used to say: ‘Strict Muslims may not consent to transplant’, it now says: ‘Variable - some Muslims may not consent to transplant’.
In the ‘Family planning’ column, where is used to say: Variable - ‘Strict Muslims do not approve’, it now says: ‘Variable - some Muslims do not approve’.
In the ‘Death’ column, where is used to say: ‘The body should not be touched by non-Muslims. All Muslims are buried. No PMs unless legally required’, it now says: ‘All Muslims are buried. No post-mortems unless legally required’.