Access to the complete content on Oxford Medicine Online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- Chapter 1 A brief evolutionary account of medical care
- Chapter 2 Emergence and development of scientific medicine
- Chapter 3 Feeling sick: a combination of bottom-up and top-down events
- Chapter 4 Seeking relief: the activation of motivational and reward circuits
- Chapter 5 Meeting the therapist: a look into trust, hope, empathy, and compassion mechanisms
- Chapter 6 Receiving the therapy: the activation of expectation and placebo mechanisms
- Chapter 7 The brain of the demented patient
- Chapter 8 Defence mechanisms of the body in the course of evolution: from cellular to social responses