Your library's subscription gives you access to the content, but you can also create a personal profile that lets you save and annotate content. So you can set up a reading list, take notes as you read, and, when it's time to revise, go straight to the right content, and see your notes again.
- Use the Save icon in the book and chapter toolkit to save either a book or chapter to your personal work area.
- See what you've saved either by clicking on My Work at the top of the screen and then choosing the My Content tab or open the My Content dropdown at the foot of the header. Then click on the title to go to that content.
- You can save searches too: use the Save icon in the toolkit and retrieve from My Searches or My Work, and then the My Searches tab.
- Delete an item from your personal work space by ticking its checkbox and choosing Delete.
- Select the text you want to annotate by selecting it with your mouse -- a word, sentence, or paragraph.
- When you've finished selecting, you'll see an Annotate pop-up appear; click it.
- A dialogue box will appear, showing at the top the text you highlighted, and below, space for your notes (there's a 500 character limit).
- The text you highlighted will now show as yellow. Read your note by clicking anywhere in the yellow text.
You can use the My Annotations tab in the My Work area to see all your annotations, and the texts you've highlighted.
More on using your profile
To view your personalized work record, make sure you have signed in, then click My Work (above the Search box at the top right of the screen). Your work is organized into four folders:
This folder keeps a record of the books you have viewed and the searches you have run most recently. To rename a search, click Edit, type your preferred name into the Title field (making a note if you wish), then click .
Any books you have chosen to save to My Work are listed here. The chapter/section is listed first, separated by a colon from the title.
Any searches you have chosen to save to My Work are listed here.
To view any of the searches in the list, click on its title.
To rename a search, click Edit, type your preferred name into the Title field (making a note if you wish), then click edit.
Use this folder to change your password.
Citing a book
You can cite any book listed in the Most Recent and My Content folders. Click the book's Cite option (under the Action column).
You can choose from the formats: MLA, APA, and Chicago. The citations can be cut and pasted directly into academic work.
You may export citations to personal citation management packages in the following formats: EndNote, ProCite, ReferenceManager, RefWorks, BibTex, and Zotero (BibText).
Deleting items from a folder
To delete an individual item from a folder, click its Delete option (under the Action column). To delete more than one item tick the checkboxes of all the items you want to delete, then click the delete button.