Figure 3.25 Leicester smallpox isolation hospital, 1901. The two-storey isolation block and a ward at Leicester Isolation Hospital at Gilroes. The new hospital was opened in 1900–1 and separated smallpox and tuberculosis isolation from fever isolation (scarlet fever, enteric fever, diphtheria and so on). Historically, all had been treated on a single site in a small combined fever and smallpox hospital built in 1871 on Freaks Ground in northwest Leicester. The buildings there were of corrugated iron and covered 2 acres. Despite enlargement in 1893, it proved inadequate to meet the demands placed upon it by the application of the Leicester Method to control infectious diseases, and this led to the building of the new hospital (McKinley, 1958, pp. 447–Active search operations in India56). The old hospital then treated fevers only.