Challenging Concepts in Obstetrics and Gynaecology is an online, case-based guide to difficult scenarios faced in both fields, covering many of the major sub-speciality areas of each. The 24 cases have been selected to cover a spectrum of challenges in obstetrics and gynaecology. The authors have chosen specific, challenging scenarios that are commonly encountered in clinical practice, but by no means have simple answers or outcomes. Complex cases are examined from a multidisciplinary approach with consideration of diagnostic procedures, practical skills, evidence base, and the application of national and international guidelines. There is also a summary of evidence from the medical literature in various subspecialty areas of obstetrics and gynaecology, alongside current controversies in management. Cases are punctuated by easy-to-read "Learning Points", "Clinical Tips", and "Evidence Base" boxes, speeding the learning process as well as providing a handy dip-into guide for those just refreshing their memory.
Table of Contents
- Case 1 A ‘classic’ case of heavy menstrual bleeding?
- Case 2 Severe endometriosis in a young woman with unexpected end-organ failure
- Case 3 Pregnancy of unknown location: a diagnostic and management dilemma
- Case 4 Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis in oligozoospermia
- Case 5 Recurrent miscarriage: is conservative management the best we can offer?
- Case 6 Lethal congenital abnormalities: the importance of a multidisciplinary approach
- Case 7 Monochorionic diamniotic twin pregnancy complicated by twin–twin transfusion syndrome
- Case 8 ‘Rescue’ cerclage after bulging membranes at 22 weeks: delaying the inevitable?
- Case 9 Early-onset fetal growth restriction
- Case 10 Dilemmas of preterm birth
- Case 11 Pulmonary hypertension in pregnancy
- Case 12 The challenges and controversies of pregnancy and diabetes
- Case 13 HIV in pregnancy: the dilemmas of management
- Case 14 SLE in pregnancy: lupus nephritis flare or pre-eclampsia—a diagnostic challenge
- Case 15 Management of a pregnant woman with morbid obesity
- Case 16 Early-onset preeclampsia: balancing maternal and neonatal morbidity
- Case 17 Vaginal birth after caesarean section
- Case 18 Maternal pyrexia: challenges in optimal perinatal management
- Case 19 Forewarned is forearmed in massive obstetric haemorrhage
- Case 20 Premature ovarian failure: not the same as the ‘normal’ menopause
- Case 21 Treating urinary incontinence: an evolving challenge for us all
- Case 22 Post-menopausal bleeding
- Case 23 Recurrent ovarian cancer
- Case 24 Cervical cancer