This resource thoroughly examines the anesthetic modulation of the central, peripheral, and autonomic nervous systems and will help redefine anesthesiology as a fundamentally neuroscientific field. It is organized by sections, with each focusing on a different part of the nervous system. State-of-the-art chapters are written by field leaders in anesthesiology and neuroscience.
Table of Contents
- 1 Brain Anatomy of Relevance to the Anesthesiologist
- 2 Cellular and Molecular Effects of General Anesthetics in the Brain
- 3 The Shared Circuits of Sleep and Anesthesia
- 4 Thalamocortical System and Anesthetic-Induced Unconsciousness
- 5 Anesthetic Modulation of Memory Processing in the Medial Temporal Lobe
- 6 Neuroimaging Changes Associated With Human Acute and Chronic Pain