Access to the complete content on Oxford Medicine Online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- Chapter 1 Family and schooling in Victorian England
- Chapter 2 Apprentice years 1861–2
- Chapter 3 Apprentice year 1863
- Chapter 4 Medical student 1863–70
- Chapter 5 Choosing neurology
- Chapter 6 Gowers and clinical diagnosis
- Chapter 7 Gowers the researcher
- Chapter 8 Gowers the writer and lecturer
- Chapter 9 Life outside work
- Chapter 10 ‘Grand old man’ of clinical neurology
- Chapter 11 Gowers: the man, his work, and his legacy