Access to the complete content on Oxford Medicine Online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 The History of Pain
- 3 Pain Mechanisms and Types
- 4 Pain and the Brain
- 5 Pain Processing: Some Theories
- 6 The Complexities of Measuring Pain
- 7 Psychogenic Pain: Is It a Useful Concept?
- 8 Pain as a Disease
- 9 Pain in Neonates and Infants
- 10 Pain and Religion
- 11 Empathy and Pain
- 12 Genetics and Pain
- 13 Pain and Consciousness
- 14 Pain: Present and Future Considerations